Many fitness trainers lead us to believe, weight loss is all in the workout. But yet we’ve all see the consistent gym goers who never loose a pound, they work and work, but it never seems like they change. Maybe you’ve been there, maybe you know someone who has been there, either way we all know it’s not working.
SO why are these people stuck in their workout routine and not loosing a pound?
Well, it comes back to their diet. What are they eating? We can workout, workout, workout but none of us have enough time in the day to keep working out just to keep up with bad eating habits. As some people like to say “you can’t out exercise a bad diet” it just doesn’t work.
So why do we exercise if 80% of weight loss comes from what we put into are bodies and only 20% comes from exercise?
Because there are so many other benefits that no one ever really goes into detail with you and explains the importance. To many of us are so caught up in loosing weight we forget there is so much more to being active and staying fit.
SO what are the benefits:
1. It combats health conditions and diseases such as stroke, heart disease (1 in every 4 people die from heart disease), metabolic syndrome, diabetes (more than 9% of the population has diabetes), depression, cancer (reduce the risk of colon cancer by 30-40%), arthritis, etc.. I don’t know about you, but I want to be around for a very long time and have the opportunity to live life to the utmost fullest. I don’t want to have to deal with health conditions tearing at my body and not allowing me to do the things I love to do. I was given this body to take care of it and live my life in it, I can’t trade in like I could a car. I am stuck with it until the day I die
2. Exercise is the number one underutilized antidepressant, and I can guarantee you it’s the cheapest antidepressant on the market! By working are muscles we stimulate the brain to release chemicals that leave us happy and relaxed. By reducing the stress, that many of us encounter on a daily basis, whether at work or at home. We tend to feel more energized and happier. Not only are happy and stress free, we also encounter healthier relationships and better anger management than those who don’t exercise.
3. You sleep better, with as little as 10 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as walking or cycling, you can dramatically improve the quality of your nighttime sleep, especially when done on a regular basis. What’s more, exercisers may reduce their risk for developing troublesome sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome.
4. You burn calories. For every pound of muscle that you gain, you burn 6-10 calories. So, by adding muscle to your body, your allowing for a more effective way to burn calories on the days you just can’t get to your workout.
5. Though it is not a very researched topic, exercise has been found to Improve self-esteem. Through exercise are bodies are given the opportunity to release stress and to feel better about our composition. As we progress in our fitness journey, we start to feel stronger and enjoy watching the progress of our bodies changing. This gives us a sense of accomplishment, allowing for a more positive outlook on ourselves.
6. Working out not only helps us feel stronger and proud of our bodies, it also helps with aging. It slows down the aging progress, allowing for us to look younger and age with grace. When we are under intense amounts of stress, we tend to age a lot faster and look a lot older then we actually are. So, by working out, we release the stress that is built up in our bodies and allow for a more graceful aging process.
7. It’s a natural energy boost, if a sedentary individual begins an exercise program they will enhance the blood flow carrying oxygen and nutrients to muscle tissue improving their ability to produce more energy.
What will keep you moving?
For many people they stop exercising because they lack interest in the activity, they are focusing on. Once you can find something that you enjoy doing, you’ll start seeing major improvements in reaching your goals and in finding the motivation to stick with it! Plus, all the other added benefits of staying active! Start Learning more about different things that will help you stay active!